Saturday, January 5, 2008

Considering Homeschooling, Part 1

The other day a friend asked for advice about homeschooling her child. These kind of inquiries always throw me off a bit because there are so many things to consider: legal aspects, curriculum choices, physical education, socialization, the physical space used for schooling and storage, costs, record keeping, family dynamics...the list can be daunting. Richard and I spent an entire summer actively researching homeschooling options--the year before our son was to enter kindergarten. Because of all the information swimming around in my head--and the fact that I am so very new at it--I often just mumble something about loving it. But that really isn't enough information to facilitate good decision-making. So, finally, I think I can articulate what I think is the first, most important thing to consider before homeschooling:

MAKE SURE YOU DO IT LEGALLY!!! Do not put your family at unnecessary risk by ignoring the law.

Homeschool regulations vary from state to state. The Homeschool Legal Defense Association provides summaries of the laws for each of the United States. Click here to find out about laws in your state. State homeschool organizations can also be a good source of information. Research your state department of education. In my state the education code can be accessed directly through the department of education's web site. I was able to read the law myself and feel confident that I wasn't merely making choices based on someone else's opinions.

The state in which I live has a few ways to homeschool legally. We chose to enroll in an ISP (independent studies program). There are many types of ISPs, so it's important to find one that is a good fit. Ours provides us with administrative support (including filing paperwork and keeping cumulative records), opportunities to socialize (through Friday school and field trips), and the fun "trappings" of a traditional school (graduations, year books, etc.). It gives us flexiblity by respecting our freedom to choose our own curriculum according to our son's needs and interests. Our ISP provides testing resources and experienced people to look over lesson logs. The tuition is reasonable. So far it has been a very good fit for us.

No comments: