Monday, December 17, 2007

Oh My Word!!!

Don't my girls look angelic? Well, tonight they outdid themselves when it comes to mischievous experiments. I was in the kitchen making dinner when they approached me. Gracie started off with, "Sorry, Mom. I got salt and pepper on the red chair in the living room." Abby piped up, "Sorry, Mom. I did it." I took a deep breath, composed myself, and summoned up the best Dr. Sears' wisdom I could. I went into the living room thinking that it would be bad, but I could handle it. What I saw was the worst, most unspeakable thing I've encounterd since The Great Poopy Wall incident of 2004. The red chair was sopping (and I mean sopping!) wet with olive oil and sprinkled liberally with toasted garlic. I was so angry that I had to send the girls to the other room while I pulled myself together.

Sam came in, looked at the chair and said, "Oh, no!" That was all that could be said. He offered to pay for a new chair with his trash job money. We figured out that it would take him 4 years to afford to replace the chair. He'd be ten--that's double digits. No, that wouldn't work. We prayed together that God would give me wisdom about what to do. Then I thanked Him that my girls came to me and took responsibility for what they had done--even though I might be upset. That is, after all, what Richard and I want them to do. Well, there was nothing to do but teach the girls how to clean it up. We cleaned up the garlic and researched what to do about olive oil on fabric.

Dr. Sears was right, I did feel better about myself as a parent by handling the situation proactively rather than sapping my strength with ranting and raving. I offered my girls a moment of grace, and isn't that what God does for us when we come to Him and admit we've screwed up again? I also taught my son that God will help us control our anger and figure out how to handle difficult situations.

"Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! It is like the precious oil upon the head, running down on the beard of Aaron. Running down on the edge of his garments. It is like the dew of Hermon, for there the LORD commanded the blessing--life forevermore." Psalm 133

Thank You for the oil, Lord.

2 comments:

Dew of Hermon said...

You did well to take that step back and bring Godly wisdom into the situation. We all need 'grace moments' every day for each other and ourselves.

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much for the kind words.