Friday, December 14, 2007

We're Not Buying Anything Made in China

We're not buying anything made in China. Not because of lead toxicity. (Though, this would be a good enough reason. And can I just say that I am astounded that we're usually the only parents reading packaging for those often tiny "Made in" words!)

We don't buy from China because of human rights violations
like these and these and practices like these.

When shopping with Sam we look over packaging together. He asked once why we don't buy things made in China. I told him it was because they use slave labor. He had recently been introduced to slavery in a biography about Mark Twain and had already decided that slavery was wrong. He suggested we just tell people about China using slaves. In his mind it's obvious that no one would buy stuff made by slaves because it's a wrong thing to do.


The other day Sam lost a small toy that was very special to him. He wanted to return to the place he lost it, but we were in a serious time crunch. I suggested we look for a replacement while at the grocery store. After going through a wall o'toys we still had not found anything made anywhere other than China. Then Sam said seriously, "That's okay, Mom, I don't need anything." He didn't mope or pout. He was just quietly resigned to doing the right thing.

Shopping with little children in tow can be daunting. It is sometimes easier to grab and go rather than pour over packaging. I'm ashamed of the number of times I'm lured into what's easy at the moment. I came away from that experience with Sam having a renewed commitment to reading all those small print labels even if it is inconvenient. Why? It's the right thing to do. If a 5-year-old can see beyond want he wants now, I can too.

1 comment:

Wonderful World (GeoWhiz) said...

I definitely enjoy people like you, who pledge not to buy things from China. I am one of those people that believes that buying things mainly from our own country will help the economy!